Tuesday November 13, 2012.
Happy Christmas shopping means taking care online and mobile
With around six weeks until Christmas, B&E Personal Banking today outlined some simple steps you can follow to make online and mobile shopping safe.
There is no doubt that online shopping is rising in popularity, however it's important to exercise caution to avoid becoming a victim of online fraud.
Christmas shopping online can be convenient, easy and lead to terrific bargains. But when shopping online, it’s important to protect personal information so you don’t become another victim of cyber criminals who will spoil your Christmas holidays.
The best way to keep your details safe when shopping online is to make sure you know the seller is legitimate, you are confident in the product being purchased and that your credit card details will be protected. Other things to consider when shopping online include:
- If a deal is from a suspicious looking site or looks too good to be true, it probably is.
- Only provide card details to secure sites that contain a locked padlock in the browser.
- Only use a secure payment method.
- Make sure you have up-to-date security software installed, including on mobile devices.
- Never send your account details by email, only use a secure web page.
- Always keep a copy of any transaction.
- Check your statements; contact your financial institution if there are any suspicious transactions.
To find out more about staying safe online visit www.staysmartonline.gov.au