Tuesday, May 21, 2013
This week is National Cyber Awareness Week! The aim of Awareness Week is to help Australians using the internet – whether at home, the workplace or school – understand the simple steps they can take to protect their personal and financial information online.
Why is cyber security awareness important?
The internet has increasingly become part of our daily life. It provides a way for us to socialise, shop, transact and do business, which means we are sharing more and more personal and financial information online. In doing so we potentially expose ourselves to number of online risks which we need to be aware of and properly manage.
That is why it is important that we better understand how to stay safe and secure on the internet.
Under the Australian Government's Cyber Security Program a range of initiatives, including National Cyber Security Awareness Week, help Australians understand cyber security and safety and the measures they can take to protect their personal and financial information.
Remember the top tips
Stay Smart Online encourages all Australians to remember these ten simple tips to improve their online security:
- Install and update your security software and set it to scan regularly
- Turn on automatic updates on all your software, particularly your operating system and applications
- Use strong passwords and different passwords for different uses
- Stop and think before you click on links and attachments
- Take care when buying online - research the supplier and use a safe payment method
- Only download "apps" from reputable publishers and read all permission requests
- Regularly check your privacy settings on social networking sites
- Stop and think before you post any photos or financial information online
- Talk with your child about staying safe online, including on their smart phone or mobile device
- Report or talk to someone if you feel uncomfortable or threatened online - download the Government's Cybersafety Help Button